The title ‘Geshe’ began around the time of Great Atisha, and was translated as ‘Master’. The tradition of the Geshe Damcha ceremonies dated back before the time of 5th Dalai Lama. Geshe in Gelug monasteries are mainly categorize into three different title, Lharampa, Khabchu and Dhoram. Geshe Lharampa is the highest level of Geshe, equivalent to Ph.D and is awarded to those who have completed 6 years of Gelug Examination (Gelug Gyuktoe: The highest exam of Gelug ) in addition to the 16 year of monastic course of study. Khabchu and Dhoram are awarded by the Abbot of the monastery after a monk has finished the 16 year monastic curriculum, depending on various things such as how many years the monk has sat for Gelug Exam and also for monastic class that he took. The new Khabchu and Dhoram Geshe names are announced in the debate session or prayer session, followed by monks visiting the new Geshes with ceremonial Khatak (Tibetan Scarves) and small gift as token of congratulation.
These days Geshe Damcha ceremony for Kabchu and Dhoram is going on here at the prayer hall. It is a customary exhibitory debate session at the Prayer Hall temple for the new Khabchu and Dhoram Geshes, symbolically showcasing that the new Geshes has graduated from the curriculum set by the monastery. That will be followed by Geshe Tongor in coming days, the offering of food, tea and little funds to the monks of the monastery and also to khangtsen members thanking all for the continual support for the academic achievement.
- Grand Overnight Debate congregation
- HIS EMINENCE KHEN RINPOCHE VISITS MONGOLIA
- Whole Monastic Sangha of Drepung Gomang Monastery extends hearty Happy 81st Birthday wishes to His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
- His Eminence Kundeling Tatsak Rinpoche is on official visit to our Moscow Center.
- SAKA DAWA -21st MAY-HOLY FULL MOON DAY
- Obituary-Geshe Lobsang Tsultrim 1953-2016
- Great Tantrayana Symposium 29th Feb-2nd March 2016
- Dialogue on Vinya (dulva) between Theravada and Tibetan Nalanda Tradition 25-28th Feb, 2016
- Uma-Droling (conference on Madhyamika) 30th Jan -2nd Feb 2016
- Special Memento presented to Ama Sandra Esner la
- Inaugural of New E-Portal of Drepung Gomang Library and 'Kunkhyen Sungbum' text book release
- Enthronement Ceremony of 80th Abbot/Khen Rinpoche of Drepung Gomang Monastery
- 80th Abbot of Drepung Gomang Monastery: Geshe Lharampa Lobsang Gyaltsen
- Foundation laying ceremony of Debate Hall Project
- Inaugural ceremony of New Community Kitchen of Drepung Gomang Monastery